skip to content

Museum of Classical Archaeology Databases

Nike Akroteria from Epidauros

Epidauros was the major centre of the cult of Asklepios, god of healing. Apart from his temple there was also next to it a smaller temple dedicated to Artemis. This was built in the second phase of the construction of the sanctuary, a few decades later than the temple of Asklepios.

These three figures are probably akroteria, or roof ornaments. They differ from the akroterion from the temple of Asklepios in having no wings (apteros). They were found built into a wall next to the foundations of the temple, of which little else survives

Location of Original: 

Athens National Museum 159, 160 & 161

0.79m - 0.83m

Lippold: Griechische Plastik, 248 (n.5)
Papaspiridi: Guide du Musée Nationale d’Athènes (1927), 62
Kavvadias: Fouilles d’Epidaure (1893), 21-
Kavvadias: Efemeris Arkaiologike (1885), 42-
Tomlinson: Epidauros, 75

c.330 BCE

Found built into a wall of later date quite close to the Temple

Search Casts

Use our search tools to search the Casts Archive

Museum of Classical Archaeology, Cambridge

Every cast tells two stories.
One ancient. One modern.

Admission is free.

We are open

Opening hours

Tues-Fri: 11am-2pm
Sat: 2-5pm (Univ. term-time only)
Sun & Mon: Closed

Closed on Bank Holiday Mondays

Visit us

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics
Sidgwick Avenue

Get in touch

Tel. +44 (0)1223 330402

Facebook Twitter

For an explanation of what personal information we gather when you visit the University’s website and details of how that information is used please see the following University Privacy policy:

Copyright statement

All images and material on our websites are ©Museum of Classical Archaeology, University of Cambridge unless otherwise stated. Permission is required to reproduce our images.

See also our Copyright Notice and Take Down Policy.

Important Information

Museum of Classical Archaeology Web Accessibility Statement