skip to content

Museum of Classical Archaeology Databases

Demeter of Knidos

Seated figure of the goddess of fertility and the seasons.

The sanctuary of Demeter at Knidos, in south western Turkey, was laid out around 350 BCE, at the same time as the city. It consisted of a long terrace with spectacular views, on which were displayed many votive sculptures, including this one of Demeter herself on her throne.

She is unusually well preserved, but her throne would have had elaborate arms, and her hands would have held a libation bowl or a torch, two common attributes of Demeter

Number: 
246
Material: 
Parian marble
Location of Original: 

London, British Museum 1300

Size: 
1.47m
Accession: 

Purchased 1875-6 by the Fitzwilliam Museum from Brucciani. Transferred to the Museum in 1884

References: 

Lippold: Griechische Plastik, 260 (n.8), pl. 93.4
Walston: Catalogue of Casts in the Museum of Classical Archaeology (1889), 74, no.352
Ashmole: Journal of Hellenic Studies LXXI (1951), 13-, pls. 1-12
Rhys Carpenter: Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome XVIII (1941), 71
Burn: Greek and Roman Art (1991), 72

Date: 
c.340 BCE
Provenance: 

Excavated in the temenos of Demeter at Knidos in 1858

Search Casts

Use our search tools to search the Casts Archive

Museum of Classical Archaeology, Cambridge

Every cast tells two stories.
One ancient. One modern.

Admission is free.

Opening hours

Mon-Fri: 10am-5pm
Sat: 10am-1pm (Univ. term-time only)
Sun: Closed

Visit us

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics
Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge
CB3 9DA

Get in touch

Tel. +44 (0)1223 330402
Email

Facebook Twitter

For an explanation of what personal information we gather when you visit the University’s website and details of how that information is used please see the following University Privacy policy:

https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-this-site/privacy-policy